What Are Title II Weapons?

Title II weapons, also known as NFA firearms, are restricted firearms and other devices that are regulated by the National Firearms Act. These weapons include but aren’t limited to:

  • suppressors
  • rifles with a barrel less than 16 inches (also called SBRs)
  • shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches long (sometimes called SBSs)
  • machine guns made before 1986
  • explosive devices like hand grenades or IEDs
  • novelty weapons such as pistol grip shotguns, cane guns, and pen guns.

To purchase any or all of these weapons you have to go through a detailed application process with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

  • You’re required to pay a $200 transfer tax to the ATF and submit an application called The Form 4.
  • You’re required to provide fingerprint cards and passport photos as an individual making the application or as a responsible person for an entity making the application.
  • You have to send notification of the application to your chief law enforcement officer (or CLEO, for short).
  • The paperwork is then submitted to the ATF for approval along with the $200 transfer tax.

Due to a backlog of submitted applications, approval of your application can take months.  Wait times have varied from three to nine months, depending on the backlog existing at the time.

VIEW 2A Trusts Resources

What Are Title II Weapons?

Disclaimer: Use of this website to purchase forms to create your own gun trust does not substitute for professional legal advice.  Use of this website does not create an attorney-client relationship.

We are committed to ADA compliance. Read our accessibility statement